Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Dawn Time


This past weekend I caught a 6:00am flight from North Carolina to California.  My plan was to try and sleep so I would arrive refreshed in San Jose.  But I was captivated by the changing light outside the plane window.  The bright blues, yellows, oranges, the moon in the dawn sky ... I couldn't help but feel the magic of earth waking beneath me and kept watching out the window.  Every few minutes the scene in front of me changed.  I felt surrounded by magic, and realized just how many mornings I sleep through the beauty of the dawn.


 
One of the strange things about living in the world is that it is only now and then one is quite sure one is going to live forever and ever and ever. One knows it sometimes when one gets up at the tender solemn dawn-time and goes out and stands alone and throws one's head far back and looks up and up and watches the pale sky slowly changing and flushing and marvelous unknown things happening until the East almost makes one cry out and one's heart stands still at the strange unchanging majesty of the rising of the sun—which has been happening every morning for thousands and thousands and thousands of years. One knows it then for a moment or so...”    
Frances Burnett
 

This early morning flight was a reminder of the unending beauty of the sky above us.  The sun is always rising somewhere, the colors of the sky are always glowing brightly somewhere in the world.  I am so grateful to be living on this beautiful planet of ours.

1 comment:

Joanne Huffman said...

beautiful photos - a tribute to the timelessness of the world.