Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Animate Your Fear and Your Curiosity

Anxious Annie
I've been listening to the wonderful podcast series Magic Lessons with Elizabeth Gilbert in which Elizabeth coaches people to overcome their creative blocks.

In Episode #9 entitled "Dear Creativity and Fear" Elizabeth suggests to Casey that she personify her fear and her curiosity, and then have Fear and Curiosity write a letter to her telling her what they want! She suggests Casey read their letters very carefully and respectfully and then, as "Manager of the Corporation who is you," write a letter back to them.

I was so excited to hear Elizabeth suggest this as this is so similar to the SoulCollage® process, and I know that it works. As Elizabeth says, instead of battling our fear, if we give it respect, kindness and even gratitude, it will slowly quiet down. I have found this is absolutely true with all those parts of myself that I used to think as "less than perfect".

In SoulCollage® instead of writing a letter, we ask our cards questions. For example, a dialogue with my SoulCollage® card Anxious Annie using the SoulCollage® questions might go something like this:

Who are you? I am one who is easily overwhelmed when faced by decisions. I am one who sits and looks in dismay and can't move forward.
What do you want from me? I want you to see how difficult this is. All these fish! Which one do I choose first? They are all so slippery. How can I rescue all of them? What will I do? I can't do anything!
What do you have to give me? I give you the reminder that things can be overwhelming, that you don't have all the answers, and that you don't have to have all the answers. Sometimes you need to ask for help.
What else do you have to tell me? Maybe I'm over-reacting. Maybe I can start with the fish right in front of me.

Curious Child of Wonder
On the other hand, a conversation with my Curious Child of Wonder card might look something like this:

Who are you? I am one who sees possibility and beauty and excitement everywhere I go. I am one who wants to know everything about the world, who wants to touch and feel everything I see.
What do you want from me? I want you to recognize that you live in a beautiful world. I want you to stop and look at the magic that is all around you. I want you to let wonder and awe be your guides.
What do you have to give me? I give you a reminder that life is too short to focus on the problems. Focus on the beauty. Know that you hold the world in the palm of your hand..
What else do you have to tell me? Don't see the abundance of possibility as too much. The world is made up of abundance, and that includes the choices you have to make each day on where to focus your energy. Ask yourself: "What is important right now" and focus there. You will know what is important when you stop and look deeply.

There is absolutely something magical that happens when you personify your Fear and your Curiosity. We are all made up of different parts and being able to see them and dialogue with them allows them to be seen and heard. Until we do that, they can be like demanding children. That is why SoulCollage® has made such a difference to the quality of my life. It gives me a place and a process I can turn to, no matter what emotions are holding me back or overwhelming me. It allows me to access my own inner wisdom through the images on the cards as they speak to me.

No comments: